Monday, April 23, 2012

A Day In The Life...

So I have been meaning to do this for a while. Claire over at Miso Funky does it and Lee May at Bonbi Forest so when Lee May named the date as Friday 20th April I thought I would join in.
So here is my day in the life...
I woke up at 6 this morning. I am very busy with work at the moment and this makes my brain wake up way before my body!
At 6.30am decide to go out for my morning walk then can't be bothered so I'm still in bed and now waiting for Anthony to finish in the shower. It's now 7.45am. At least I have had breakfast so that's out of the way.
I’m in the studio at 8.50. That’s a late start for me this week I have been in here between 7 and 8 each morning. This morningthough- no way. I try not to do silly hours. I used to when I first started Custom Made but then realised no one was going to give me a medal for doing it! When I am old I’m not going to pat myself on the back for working like a dog. I am going to think about all the cool things I have done. Some of those are work related yes but ONLY working and doing nothing else stops you from doing other cool things.
That’s my pep talk over. Back to work.
I have had three wholesale orders to do this week. I have just dropped the last one off with the fella in the post office (combined with a milk run) who was very surprised to see me at 9.15.
 Ready for the post office!
The post office run is usually 2pm-ish. It’s empty at that time for some reason so it’s my own personal post office. I have a chat with the guy in there. When you work on your own most of the time you have a different set of ‘office friends’ Mine are- the guy in the post office, Nick our post man (who will be here in a while) and three of four neighbours who are pensioners and wander about and do gardening and stuff. Oh I forgot to mention, the Custom Made studio is the ground floor of our house.

Its 10.00 now. I have to finish some stock for tomorrow. I’m doing the designers/makers market in London. Then I have to mull over a print quote and get on with some work for Pulse, the trade fair in June which is looming fast. Listening to Cults. Really like them.  I will talk to you later…
1.30. Well I’m still mulling over the print quote. Thinking about changing the design actually so I will keep that going round in my mind for a while. I’ve finished up all my preparations for tomorrow so that’s good. I actually inadvertently made a new bracelet for the range in the process. That happens sometimes. Design is strange thing. Sometimes these thing just pop into your head. It can happen in the middle of the night though!
Did the website order post office run and this afternoon I’m going to finish a design for a new business card and packaging I started a while ago.

2pm. Oh man what an afternoon.  SO…I really wanted to re-design the Custom Made business cards and ticketing for brooches, necklaces etc. I had had ideas in mind all week and literally everything I tried looked awful. This doesn’t happen very often but when it does there is nothing more frustrating.
Idea  number 857- rrrrrr!!! I can’t stand it. With the chase me studs it looks like willow pattern!
So now its 4.30pm and the best thing you can possibly do when your creative juices aren’t flowing is go and do something else. My something else was ‘throw the towel in’ So that’s what I did, and said hello to the weekend.
So that’s my day in the life. Hope it wasn’t too boring!
Anna, CM 

5 comments:

Marie said...

A great insight! I guess sometimes things do not always go according to plan. Even for ace designers :)
Marie B

steffie brocoli said...

Haha, so funny. I'm wearing exactly the same shoes today, but my socks are striped :)

Anna, Custom Made said...

I have stripes too Steffie! I will do a photoshoot! You should do one too!
Anna, CM

steffie brocoli said...

Good idea ! I will, and I'll send it to you!

Anna, CM said...

Excellent- I will post it on the blog!
Anna, CM

 
Arts Blogs - Blog Top Sites