I know this is a new thing for the Custom Made blog.
I really fancied a biscuit last night. I really didnt want to go and buy some. I was far to involved in watching Benidorm. Anyway I quickly put it on pause and nipped to the cupboard to check ingredients and...BINGO!
I have been making these biscuits since I was a little girl (yes the recipe is that old!) so I thougth it was about time to share them. They are so easy and quick but very tasty and you can make them as simple or as fancy as you like.
4oz porridge oats
4ox self raisng flour
4oz butter or margarine
2oz of sugar (you can use granulated or brown or whatever you have)
2 tablespoons of golden syrup
Fancy stuff: Like I said you can make them as fancy as you like. Over the years I have added sultanas, glace cherries, nuts, seeds, cranberries. You name it. Last night I added sultanas. Just chuck a handful into the mix at the end of whatever you fancy (or have in the cupboard)
Heat the oven to gas mark 4 /180 degrees ( a little less for a fan oven)
1. Weigh out the dry ingredients (oats and flour) and put them into a mixing bowl.
2. Weigh out the butter/margarine, sugar and golden syrup and put them in a saucepan.
3. Melt the contents of the saucepan until the mixture is liquid but dont boil.
4. Add the contents of the sacepan to the oats and flour in the mixing bowl. Stir until all mixture is well combined. The mixture should not be too wet. At this point you can add the sultanas or nuts or whatever.
5. Grease a couple of baking sheets.
6. With a metal spoon spoon blobs of the mixture around 4-5cm in width onto the baking sheets. (You should be able to do around 18 bisciuts)
7. Bake for 15 minutes. Check at around 12 minutes. They should be golden bown.
8. Cool on a rack if you can wait that long.